The Chewipal is a Chewigem Original that is so versatile it proves to be one of THE most popular items we have developed because it does so much MORE than the original design intention.
Originally designed by Jenny to provide a ‘chewable’ attachment to our products. This was important for a few reasons;
- Some people cannot wear cord around their neck, it just feels wrong
- Despite being instructed not to chew the necklace cord… some people just cannot help it.
- They could go for a bangle or handheld but lots of people were worried about things being thrown or lost.
So after a lot of hard work and ‘back to the drawing board’ moments the Chewipal was born. It is so simple, yet super functional. It is often used as intended, to loop through a buttonhole or belt loop at one end and onto our products (those suitable with a big enough hole e.g. Miller heart, Eternity, Realm ring, Bangles to name but a few). This works really well, meaning it cannot be thrown or lost. Its other features include:
- It’s Chewable
- It has sensory nubs for additional sensory stimulation
- It works well for those who cannot resist chewing necklace cord
But in addition to this it was used in the real world in the following awesome but unexpected ways:
- It is a great ‘flapping’ stim toy, hold in your fist and rotate allowing the ends to slap back and forth on your hand
- People use it to redirect chewing away from headphone wires
- Great for those who grind their teeth as its flat
- Perfect for tactile input by pulling it between your thumb and finger
- Use it as a kind of elastic band and ping it!
- 2 in a pack
76% of people say their Chewigem helps them self regulate
Imagine our delight that this product has been adapted in so many ways by our amazing imaginative and resourceful community.
“For me, these are the most underrated chews. I love them. They are stretchy, they are smaller than some. I find them more discrete than others.
I like being able to manipulate them in my hands or have them in my mouth.” Ash
Once damaged, Chewigem should be discarded and replaced.
All products through chewing will eventually show signs of wear and tear. How long that depends on a variety of factors and it can take time to find the right product for you.
As a general guide, refer to the lifespan tables for an indication of longevity.
Check regularly for damage.
- All products have been widely tested and you can be confident they are lead, latex, PVC, and phthalate-free.
- In children and any person with a learning disability, that does not understand risks, it is vital all products should be used with supervision and checked regularly for damage.
- As soon as wear and tear shows, the product should be discarded. This means a tear or puncture that could cause a larger section to break off.
How to care for a Chewigem without a cord (e.g. Fidgets, handhelds & bangles)
You can wash these using any of the below options:
- Hot soapy water
- Top rack of a dishwasher
- Steam steriliser
- Microwave steriliser
- Sterilising solution.
Chewigem’s with a cord (e.g. pendants & necklaces)
With the cord on you can wash your Chewigem’s:
- Hot soapy water
- Washing machine on a low heat
with the cord removed:
By removing the cord the silicone section can be washed in the same way as a cordless product above.
The clasp on the cords is plastic and cannot cope with high heat and risks melting which is why we suggest the cord be removed.
This is simple, snap the breakaway clasp apart, pull the clasp back down the cord to reveal the knot, untie the knot and slide the clasp off this should allow you to take the cord off the pendant. Once washed, reverse the process, reattach the cord, slide the clasp down onto the cord, tie a knot at the end and slide the clasp back up over the knot.
For further information please refer to our Caring for your Chewigem guide which gives lots of information on looking after your Chewigem and prolonging its life.
In short, we promise:
- If you break our product we will replace it for free*
- If our products do not work for you, we will source and buy a competitor’s product at no cost to you
- If you have been disappointed by another brand’s product, we will send you one of ours for free!
This should remove any concerns you have about giving us a go, there really is no risk to you at all. Only the opportunity to find the solution you have been looking for!
Read more about our 3 point Guarantee here.
*T’s & C’s apply